Thursday, July 28, 2011

Win #2

So today I won my second pro event on the hooters Carolina series. I had taken a break for a few weeks of competition to recharge my batteries and get my passion for golf back. Golf had lost it's appeal to me and I wasn't having fun. Found out it was really just my general outlook on golf as a whole. I have never really been happy playing. I looked at all my options. Should I quit. Should I just play mediocre golf and not play professional, or should I start having fun and realize why God gave me the ability to play this sport at a high level. The thought of stopping pro golf and getting a job with real money and moving on in life was an attractive option. But who am I kidding, golf is what I do. Golf isn't who I am and I realize that but golf is what I do everyday and all day. and I don't want to have a desk job or be one of those saying 'I could have played PGA tour if...'
So realizing I wasn't quitting and moving on to other things, I decided to stop pressuring myself and putting myself through unhealthy amounts of stress and frustration. Decided to trust and believe in what I'm doing ad knowing and trusting that it is what I'm supposed to do. I decided to accept my results being they may be good or bad as long as I knew that my attitude and emotions were right. I know that I will not win every event, or hit every shot perfect or good but I know I will win tournaments and have tons and tons more good shots then bad. It may not happen at the moment, but it will.
So this brings us to this weeks event. All three days I really just trusted and beliefs what I was doing and knew it would produce something good. 71 first day was amazing ball striking and not good putting. Second day started poorly with a birdie and a bogey in 5 holes. So the 6th hole the rain came down strongly and I hit my shot in the water. Dropping and putting it on the green so I had a put for bogey. They called us in for a delay. After we went back out, things just clicked. Played the last 12 holes 7 under shooting 66. Third round was a little nerves being one stroke back of lead. Played great the first nine minus a two foot birdie miss and a par on another par 5 and other blown opportunities. Back nine was better and finished with 67. On 17 I was told someone shot 63 in the first few groups to go -12. I was at -11 facing a makable chip. I lipped out the chip. 18 is a shorter par 5 so I knew birdie was possible. Hit my second shot about 20feet past the hole and three feet off the green. I have never shook before hitting a shot but for some weird reason my right arm couldn't stop shaking haha. So hit it to 4 feet and made the putt to force playoff. #10 is the playoff hole we started on. Both hit it in the fairway. Both missed the green haha. My buddy who was in the playoff with me is a great player and I knew that so I assumed he would make his difficult chip. You have to assume that in match play situations. He lipped it out and gave me an opportunity. My chip was downhill to the hole and not too difficult. Maye a 4 out of 10. Hit it and it started funneling like water in a toilet bowl. The sucker went in.
It's always great to win. But more importantly I was very happy with my mental focus and toughness leading up to the event and during. Being able to do it with the nerves just solidified that. I have learned what 'getting out of your way' really means now and am excited to see what happens from here. Thanks to all those who support me and are praying for me on this journey. God bless you guys!!!
Ps sorry for any miss spellings since I'm using my phone to do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment